Project Title: Italia-Malta Programme 2007-2013 Project: Protection of the environment in Mediterranean Islands via the valorisation of grape cultivation
Partners (Malta): Ministry for Resources and Rural Affairs
University of Malta
Maltese Viticulture Producer Organisation
Partners (Italy): Istituto Regionale della Vite e del Vino
Comune di Lampedusa e Linosa
Comune di Pantelleria
Project Leader (Italy): Dott. Vincenzo Melia, Istituto Regionale della Vite e del Vino, Marsala.
Project Leader (Malta): Dr. Christopher Ciantar, Ministry for Resource and Rural Affairs.
Maltese Counterpart: Ms. Claudette Gambin.
Duration of Project: 2 years.
This Italia – Malta Programme 2007-2013 project began on the 20th April 2011. The objectives of this project are:
- to fight soil erosion in the islands of Malta, Gozo, Linosa and Pantelleria,
- to identify correct vineyard management practices to improve the quality of Maltese autochthonous wine grape varieties;
- to identify international wine grape varieties suitable to the pedoclimatic conditions of Malta and Gozo;
- to study the cultivation of Zibibbo in the islands of Gozo, Linosa and Pantelleria;
- to produce products with a high added value from Maltese autochthonous wine grape varieties as well as international wine grape varieties cultivated in Malta and Gozo;
- to improve grape yields in the island of Pantelleria